We’ll float your boat with a really cheap Quote!
Well presented information.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Really good quick quotes for my car insurance and very happy with the result, saved a fortune!
Heriot, United Kingdom
4.78/5 from 2276 customer reviews
Get a great insurance quote for Northern Ireland
Local Comparison site
One simple form
Safe and secure to use
Independent and unbiased service
RV Insurance NI
RV’s (recreational vehicles) are a relatively new sight in Northern Ireland, but they are becoming more and more popular. And you can understand why when they give you the travel freedom of a motorhome with every amenity and comfort you could want.
However, some insurers are still playing catch up when it comes to offering cover for RVs in Northern Ireland. Getting a range of quotes and prices for your RV insurance could be time consuming, but At CompareNI.com we take the work out of insuring your RV.
Enter a few key details and we’ll match you with a range of NI insurers who offer cover that protects you and your RV. This lets you quickly choose the policy and price you want from insurers you can trust, so you can get back to the fun stuff.
Cheap NI RV Insurance
RV insurance is a specialist type of motorhome insurance, but specialist does not have to mean expensive. Comparing insurance quotes can make sure you are getting the best value cover for your RV, and help you find cheap NI RV insurance.
With us, you can be sure that any policies and prices you get are completely transparent and unbiased. This is because we are regulated by the FCA and are not owned by any insurance companies and do not have investments in insurance brokers.
How much does RV insurance cost in Northern Ireland?
RVs are one of the largest kinds of motorhome, so you can expect your premium to be above that of someone who is driving a smaller motor caravan or caravanette. But every insurance policy is different so it’s difficult to give an average cost of RV insurance.
Some of the key factors that will affect the price of your RV insurance NI can include:
- Your age and driving history (particularly if you have previous experience of driving a motorhome)
- Your location
- Where you keep your RV
- How you use your RV
- Your annual mileage
- The size, model and value of your RV
- If you have access to other vehicles
- Any additional drivers you are adding
- What cover and add ons you choose
- The insurer you choose
- Any modifications made to your RV
What coverage do I need on my RV insurance?
This depends heavily on how you plan to use your RV during the insurance term. For example, if you plan to travel Europe and live out of your RV for several months of the year you will need very different coverage from someone spending a few weekends a year at the Fermanagh loughs.
Your main coverage options include:
- Third party insurance – This is the lowest level of coverage needed to drive on public Northern Irish roads. It covers damage to third party vehicles, property and persons.
- Third party, fire and theft insurance – This covers damage to third parties and if your RV is stolen, or damaged in a fire.
- Fully comprehensive – This can be the most expensive option, but it gives you the most coverage. This protects your RV, you and your passengers, as well as third party, theft and fire.
There are plenty of extras available for your Northern Ireland RV insurance that can make it work for your travel style. These can include:
- Breakdown cover – This can be added with roadside assistance so you can get to a garage quickly if you break down far from home.
- Legal expenses – This covers these expenses following an accident or incident.
- No claims discount protection – This lets you claim without losing your no claims discount.
- European cover – This is an important add on if you plan to travel in Europe.
- Personal possession or gadget cover – If your policy has limitations, this can cover particularly expensive or specialist items you keep in your RV.
How can I get cheaper NI RV insurance?
If you look at what insurers use to set your premiums, it might seem like there’s not much you can do to get a cheaper RV policy. But taking on board the following measures can give you a good chance of bringing down the cost of your NI RV insurance.
- Know the level of coverage you need – Getting the level of cover that best suits how you use your RV means you won’t be overspending on excessive coverage.
- Choose the drivers carefully – Only insuring drivers with clean licences and who are over the age of 25 can help keep down premiums.
- Build a no claims discount – Like with other motor insurance a no claims history can get you a discount on your insurance.
- Pay your premium annually – This lets you save on the interest providers usually charge to those who pay monthly.
- Choose higher voluntary excess – Choosing the highest excesses you are willing and able to pay in the event of a claim can get you cheaper insurance.
- Compare quotes from various insurers – Compare RV insurance quotes to make sure you aren’t paying over the odds.
- Add extra security – Upping your RV security with alarms, immobilizers, clamps or even just storing it off the road shows insurers that you are a lower risk to insure and can get you cheaper premiums.
- Proactively protect against claims – Simple measures including general maintenance and regular servicing can prevent avoidable claims and help build your no claims discount.
What our experts say:
“With a soaring number of holidaymakers continuing to staycation in Northern Ireland and an ever-increasing rate of caravan thefts due to shortages in the market. It’s important caravanners and their families are protected and do these three simple checks before heading off this summer – check the driver’s driving licence, check the vehicle weight and check the insurance policy”. – Ian Wilson, Managing Director at CompareNI.com
Is RV insurance a legal requirement in Northern Ireland?
Yes, you are legally required to insure your RV in Northern Ireland. The exception to this would be if your RV has been officially declared off the roads or SORN through the DVLA. Having the correct Northern Irish RV insurance can save you from facing fines and even a driving ban if you are caught driving your RV uninsured.
Can my RV be covered under a van insurance policy?
No, the levels of coverage on van insurance will not cover the risks involved in using an RV. Things like water and cooking appliances need to be covered by specialist RV insurance. RVs are also categorised under motorhomes by the DVLA so will require a different level of insurance than vans to be legally insured in NI.