Policies and deals from up to 15 providers, including
We’ll float your boat with a really cheap Quote!
It’s very beneficial for me ,I got an excellent quote
Dromara, United Kingdom
Great competitive price and very user friendly. Well Done.
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
4.78/5 from 2311 customer reviews
Get a great insurance quote for Northern Ireland
Search top providers for NI insurance
Instant online quotes
Safe and secure to use
Personalised insurance quotes
Independent and unbiased service
Buy online or over the phone
Get The Right Northern Ireland Pet Insurance – Compare Quotes Now!
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as the NHS for pets in Northern Ireland. And if your pet becomes ill or is injured their vet bills can really add up, causing unnecessary financial pressure on you. We specialise in comparing insurance companies that cover NI, so you can find the best insurance policy for your pet’s needs and your budget.
NI pet insurance policies can vary massively in their coverage and price. So it’s worth taking time to get insight into the specifics of pet insurance and shop around to find the best pet insurance for your pet.
Can CompareNI.com find me cheap pet insurance in Northern Ireland?
CompareNI.com can make it easier to find pet insurance quickly and easily online by comparing up to 15 pet insurers and brokers with just one simple form.
We can show you all the quote results on one page with the cheapest price at the top of your list. This lets you select the policy that best suits you, and click through to the insurer’s website when you are ready to buy.
If you need more time to think about the decision, you can even come back to the website later and retrieve your pet insurance quotes at your convenience.
CompareNI.com is totally free for you to use, and we are proud to be an independent and impartial website. We do not favour one insurer over the other, and the price you pay will never go towards how we make our money, that is for the insurers to cover. We just show you great pet insurance quotes for Northern Ireland residents, and leave it up to you to choose the best for you!
Do I really need pet insurance in Northern Ireland?
The first thing to know is that pet insurance is not just limited to dogs and cats. It is also possible to get cover for other pets, such as rabbits and horses, as well as specialised insurance for older dogs or multiple dogs.
The main draw of pet insurance for people in Northern Ireland is that it provides financial help with vet bills for pet illness or injury. With our own medical treatment covered by the NHS, we can be a bit out of touch with the true costs of medical care.
So when vet bills come with a shocking price tag, you’ll want to know that pet insurance can cover it so you don’t have to shoulder the costs alone, or even compromise on your pet’s health.
The ABI (Association of British Insurers) estimates common medical costs for pets as follows:
- A dog injured in a road traffic accident – £674
- A cat with diabetes – £1,060
- A uterine infection – £900
Their research put the average pet insurance claim in 2017 at £793. So when you compare this cost to the £2.56* a month on your NI pet insurance when you compare with CompareNI.com, the benefits of pet insurance are clear.
What is covered by NI pet insurance?
Different policies may vary in this respect but generally speaking, NI pet insurance can cover:
- Veterinary fees
- Personal liability incurred due to the pet
- Death as a result of injury or illness
- Theft or straying
- Advertising and reward
- Emergency boarding fees
- Holiday cancellation due to the pet requiring emergency treatment
There will typically be exclusions and limits to each level of coverage within the policy, and some of these may only be included as add ons at an additional cost, so always check your policy details before you commit to a policy.
What are the different types of pet insurance NI policies?
As with many other forms of insurance, there are different types of pet insurance you can opt for. Each one comes at its own cost so there will typically be options for all budgets.
- Accident only – This is typically the cheapest coverage type and it provides a fixed sum for each accidental injury to help pay for your pet’s treatment.
- Time limited – Provides a fixed time (usually a year) and financial limit for covering your pet’s illness or injury expenses. Financial limits can range from £2,000 – £5,000. The cover stops and needs to be renewed when you meet either the time or financial limit (whichever comes first). One drawback is that this coverage may not cover lifelong or ongoing illnesses that exist when the policy is renewed.
- Lifetime cover – This is the most comprehensive type of pet insurance. There might be some limits on the age of the pet that can be insured, but once they are, most insurers will cover them for life, meaning you could get coverage for lifetime illnesses. This is typically the most expensive coverage so it’s even more important to shop around for cheap NI pet insurance that provides lifetime cover.
What is not covered by NI pet insurance?
Again this will be specific to your particular policy so be sure to check the details and terms. However, common exclusions from pet insurance are:
- Annual vaccinations
- Having your pet neutered
- Regular flea and worm treatments
- Illnesses that arise in the first 14 days after the cover begins
- Accidents or injuries occurring before the start of the insurance, or within 72 hours after.
- Pre-existing conditions can be excluded from some policies
- Claims outside of the specified coverage limits of the policy
Is there an excess involved in pet insurance NI?
Like a lot of other insurance, Northern Ireland pet insurance will also involve an excess. And it works in the same way.
For instance, a policy with an excess of £50 will mean that if a pet requires veterinary treatment to the tune of £127, a claim might pay out a total of £77, with the £50 excess met by the pet owner.
Some policies may also require a percentage of each claim to be met in addition to the excess. This may be a small percentage, but it could still mean a significant payment when faced with a huge bill, so take care to look at these excesses before you buy.
How can I get cheaper pet insurance in Northern Ireland?
Premiums can be decided on things like your location, as well as your pet’s age and breed. So it might seem like there is not a lot that you can do to get cheaper NI pet insurance. But this is not the case. Some measures that could help you get cheap pet insurance are:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle for your pet – Preventative healthcare measures mean less medical costs and this could lower your insurance premiums over time.
- Review coverage levels – Consider the cover you really need so you don’t over insure your pet.
- Insure your pets young – Pets that are younger and in good health generally have lower premiums.
- Bundle policies – Covering multiple pets on one policy could get you cheaper premiums than individual policies.
- Choose a higher excess – This can get you cheaper insurance premiums, but make sure it is a cost you can cover.
- Compare Quotes – Comparing quotes from multiple insurers can help you make an informed choice, and make sure you are not overpaying for your NI pet insurance.
Many pet owners might compare pet insurance online to make sure they find the right policy for their pet. But as we can see here, the amount and type of cover is just as important as getting a good deal.
*Price per month for cover based on a dog, Holly, aged 2, no known medical conditions, upto-date vaccinations, and microchipped. Based on quote data provided by Seopa Ltd during August 2023. The quote price you could achieve is dependent on your individual circumstances.